Sign up for email updates!>>>

Wednesday, September 26, 2012

 
Ever since Mike Rinderle and I teamed up to put
out the Hammering Horseshoes DVD last year,
the popularity of Horseshoe Bending has
dramatically increased, because we effectively
removed a lot of the mystery involved with it.
 
But still, there is the occasional question that pops
up, especially regarding padding and wraps.
 
Here's a recent one that Mike got through YouTube.
 
"Mike
In the DVD you talked a little about 180
degrees being a legally bent shoe but I was
curious if there are other rules when it
comes to bending. I know you said the
wraps have to pass through a 1.25 inch hole
but are there any rules on how much
padding you can use? I would assume you
can not use anything hard. I saw you using
a piece of foam padding on top of a towel
in a couple of your vids and was curious
about that as well?
Jason"
 
Great questions, Jason.  Now, I will turn it over
to Rindo for a look at the rules for Wraps and Pads:
 
"From Rindo:
 
Rules on Wraps for Horseshoe Bending
As you mentioned, the standard is to have wraps
that can be passed through a hole in a piece of wood
or other sturdy material that is 1.25" in diameter
when all rolled up.  This is simply the standard that
was decided upon many years ago when Grip and
Feat of Strength Enthusiasts started developing
standards for feats of strength that in the past did not
have any standards developed.
 
Essentially, what is done, is the wraps that are to be
used are rolled up in the direction they would be
wrapped over the ends of the shoe and then each
one is passed through the 1.25" diameter hole.
 
Rules on Padding for Horseshoe Bending
The main rule on padding is that it cannot be rigid. 
I have found that using a folded up hand towel
works best for me.  Just enough to dull the pain,
but not so much that it doesn't let you impart full
force. 
 
What I mean by that is, if the padding is too soft,
it will just compress beneath your force.  Plus,
there is a point you can reach where you add so
much padding that you have to use even more
force than normal to bend the shoe further, which
is no good either.
 
Bending horseshoes without any padding is not a
good idea for most people.  I used to bend a lot
of shoes without padding, but I hurt my thigh so
bad once, I ended up in the doctor's office due to
a blood clot.  I couldn't bend shoes for almost two
months.  So now I almost always use some padding. 
 
In the video where you saw me using a towel and
some foam, I was working on a shoe that was a
personal best for me.  I have a system I use when
I am gunning for new PR's where  will go for
maximum padding and maximum wraps and then
work my way backwards toward the standard
until I can finish ti no problem with the exact
requirements for competition and certification lists.
 
Thanks again for writing,
 
Mike Rinderle"
 
As you can see, Mike has a little system for every
type of Bending, especially Horseshoes, that is
why he was successful in becoming the first ever
United States All-round Bending Champion.
 
And what's amazing is that doesn't even scratch
the surface of Mike Rinderle's knowledge. 
 
If you really want to learn Horseshoe Bending,
then pick up Hammering Horseshoes
 
All the best in your training,
 
Jedd
 
P.S.  If you haven't heard of the Hammering 
Horseshoes DVD before, here is the Chapter List:
 
1.  Introduction
2.  Special Recognition
3.  Horseshoe Progressions
4.  Warm-up / Injury Prevention
5.  Wrapping
6.  Padding
7.  Quick Re-wrap Method
8.  Jedd:  Raw, Uncoached
9.  Mike:  Demo Bend
10. Completed Bends
11.  Kink Technique
12.  Sweep / Crush Technique
13.  Leg Crush Technique
14.  Jedd:  Refined, Improved Technique
15.  Mike:  Elite Shoe Attempt
16.  Exercises for Shoe Strength
17.  Closing
18.  Extras
 
As you can see, we cover all the bases in this
DVD, and if you have any questions at all,
do not hesitate to ask.  We're glad to help
you out.
 
Pick up Hammering Horseshoes, here.

 

No comments: